BUCHAREST, sector III, Union Square, Bvd. Brătianu I. C., no. 39, Phone: 004.021.315.59.52


On the old street Sherban Vodă, near Beilicului Bridge over Dambovitza river there are since 1774 a crown of churches. One of them is called St. John Market.

Due to its modest appearance, this church does not seem to be part of the churches built around during the prince Brancoveanu: Saint George, Colţea (Rifka) and the Saint Anton The Old Court.

Built by the leaders of the old furrier and dyer guilds, the church was restored in 1818, and this act was carved in stone, so that future generations to know the names of old and new founders, from Ioanichie Ieromonahul and ending with Zamfira.

In 1847 has undergone some restoration works, supported by dyer guild members. The works were carried out under the leadership of Iordache, epitrop (tutor) of this holly church during the reigning of Sir George prince Bibesco and Abs. D. Neofit, who made a call for donations from believers, and these names have been engraved and placed at the entrance of the church.

Restored and adorned several times, was restored in the basement of our century during Miron Cristea and Nicodim Munteanu Patriarchs between 1930 – 1940, and the painting was renewed by Joseph Keber.

Between 1965-1966, during Justinian Patriarch, with the support of believers who visit frequently this holy church, it was again restored. At that time electric light and central heating was also introduced.

In 1968 5 glass windows were painted in traditional way on the front windows south (painter Traian Parvu).

In 1970 O. Greceanu washed painting, the mosaic „Baptism of God” was conducted on frontispiece and in 1971 were made in porch the mosaics St. Ap. Peter and Paul by the painter Josef Wass, falling frame with a run sculptor Francis Heteni.

On 30 May 1986 the church was translated on a distance of 23 m under an angle of 37 °, on a slope in the path of 2.8 °, solution design and run the team led by engineer Eugeniu Iordăchescu.

The events from 1965 till 2006 were made during vicar Rev. Paul Munteanu.

Since 2007 the church entered into a comprehensive process of transformation:

–         Has endowed the church with a fully equipped modern sound station,

–         the gas plums was recovered and was put into service a central heating own mural,

–         Total recovered and expanded electrical installation (copper cables, new circuits and electrical panels),

–         the church has decorated with Byzantine Icon painted on wood, pieces of furniture, rugs, slippers, coverings, unique objects and 4 sets of embroidered churches robes and many other religious objects from Greece,

–         Worn and unsightly carpentry glazed has replaced with light oak pvc double glazing windows,

–         Chandeliers, candles and other cultic objects have been refurbished, cleaned, silvered and gilded,

–         Has begun court proceedings to acquire ownership of the church and the land surrounding where the church site is located after the translation of 1986,

–         The anaphornion has refurbished (carved door cabinets, granite countertop and sink in the massif granite),

–         In the Holy Shrine has started walls decoration with wood carvings and mounted parquets,

–         Has arranged a new space and enrich the library,

–         Has mounted a new pavement at the entrance to the church and installed a kiosk for the expansion of besmear,

–         Have been drafted and approved projects and estimates for restoring iconostasis and washing painting,

–         Have mounted the scaffolding necessary and started the restoration of  the painting,

–         With the blessing of Patriarch Daniel PF Father were bringed small parts of the relics of Saint Epictet and Astion  – Martyrs and Doctors without pieces of silver in a small coffin carved walnut from Cyprus by Pc. Deacon. Nicu Busuioc (Basil),

–         The old fence in front of the church has replaced with wrought iron panels with St. John the Baptist

and others.